Updated: Nov 5, 2019
Aiwa portable cassettes players can be classified in three different categories, playback only, playback with radio and the most advanced model has playback, radio and recording features. The payback only models are PX, P, PL, PS, GS, GM. PX is the highest end playback only model it feather touch controls. The P series typically has a mechanical structure and controls. The PL series are quite old, it also has touch controls like the PX. However unlike the PX, the PL modes part of the cover is made of transparent plastic where the cassette tape can be seen from outside. PS, GS, GM are typically low end models with plastic construction. The GM models are not commonly seen, it has metal construction but are still considered a budget model. RX features feature touch controls with digital radio tuner built in, it is a high end model. T series are quite old, it has mechanical structure. The TX models has digital radio tuner instead of analog. RL is also quite old, it has super thin electric controls however the radio is not digital. TA is a budget model with radio. JX models are the most advanced and feature packed Aiwa has ever made. It features digital radio tuner, feather touch controls, recorder, and even voice navigation in certain models such as the HS-JX707. It has a full metal construction.
The JX family
Aiwa's JX series portable cassette players represents the most advanced and feature packed they've ever made.The top of the line AIWA HS-JX707 was released in 1991. It is essentially the same as the HS-JX70 and the golden version HS-JX3000 released later in Japan. It is packed with the best features available at that time such as Dolby C, Amorphous Head, BBE which enhances the clarity of high frequency sound, DSL, PLSS and even voice navigation! This is one of the best AIWA portable cassette player ever! There was a later model HS-JX929 released after the HS-JX707, but is wasn't a true successor to the JX707, in fact the only change was the new logo due to Aiwa's acquisition by Sony on Feb 28th 2002.
• Full-logic feather touch transport controls • Auto-reverse playback and recording • Automatic tape selector with metal capability • Dolby B and C NR noise reduction • Amorphous alloy R/P head • Digital synthesizer tuner with AM and FM stereo band • 10 station preset for each tuning band with direct access buttons • Digital clock with sleep/playback/recording timer • Recording from tuner or microphone input • Completely separate controls for the cassette deck and tuner • Voice navigation (rather than beep, a female voice is telling you what function has just been activated) • BBE System sound maximizer chip • DSL loudness circuitry • Remote controller with record button • Fully metallic chassis
• BBE - Barcus Berry Electronics, the name of the actual BBE Sound, Inc.
• DSL - Dynamic Sound Loudness
• DSL-EX - Dynamic Sound Loudness EXtreme
• HX - Headroom Extended
• MS - Music Search
• PLSS - Private Listening Sound System
FM:87.5/87.5 -- 108.1/108MHz (200kHz/50kHz STEP)
AM: 530/531 -- 1710/1602kHz (10/9kHz STEP)
7mW + 7mW (IEAJ/32 Ohm)
10mW + 10mW (IEAJ/16 Ohm)
Battery DC 2V, reachargeable battery (PB-S5)
Battery DC 3V, LR-03 (UM-4, AAA, R03) x 2
Domestic AC Power (using the optional AC adapter)
Rechargeable battery (PB-S5)
Approx. 2 hours (EIAJ, REC/1 hour recharging)
Approx. 1.5 hours (EIAJ, PB 1mW/10 minutes recharging)
Approx. 2.5 hours (EIAJ, PB 1mW/1 hour recharging)
76.2W x 107H x 27.2D mm
3W x 4-1/4H x 1-1/8D inches
Approx. 220g (0.48 lbs) include rechargeable battery.
AC209H AC115/230V, switchable
Aiwa rechargeable battery (PB-S5)
HS-JX707 in black.
HS-JX70 in gray
Golden HS-JX3000 Limited Edition